Tips On Protecting Yourself And Others From Coronavirus.
The first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in South Africa and while the country is in a state of turmoil, we thought we could equip you with tips on how to protect yourself from the virus.
Firstly you need to know the symptoms of coronavirus, how it spreads so you can be able to protect yourself.
The coronavirus’ spread is similar to the flu, according to World Health Organization. Whenever someone with the virus coughs or exhales, they release droplets of infected fluid that can land on nearby surfaces and can infect another person who comes in contact.
What to do to protect yourself..?
Heres a list of a number of actions people can take to help prevent the virus from spreading, which are nearly identical to preventing other viruses like the flu.
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based rub or wash them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the bathroom, eating, blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If you use a hand sanitizer, experts suggest using products that are made with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth since these are areas where the virus can enter your body.
- When it comes to face masks, the CDC does not suggest people wear them to prevent catching respiratory illnesses, which includes COVID-19. However, if you feel you are infected and pose a risk to others, a face mask should be used to prevent the virus’ spread.
- Maintain at least three feet of distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing to avoid breathing in liquid droplets.
- Make sure to follow good respiratory hygiene by covering you mouth and nose with a bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze and then dispose of the used tissue immediately.