Breaking up is ever easy, especially when the two people involved are in the public eye.
Splitting from someone is bad enough, without continuous press intrusion, media interest and individuals on Twitter picking apart every outfit you put on, every selfie you take and even the facial expressions you create in TV interviews.
The following 10 SA female celebrities have come out stronger despite the scrutiny their divorces and break-ups are put through.
- And speaking of how to flawlessly handle a break-up… The media coverage surrounding Bonang after her split from AKA, was often unnecessary, cruel and steeped in sexism.
Through it all, though, she kept her head high, continued working and, more importantly, smiling away, despite what was said about her in the press.
- Let’s be honest, break-ups can be messy, particularly in the glare of the spotlight, so it’s good to see when two celebrities can put their differences aside and still be friends, as Boity and Cassper Nyovest did – even eventually going on to star in ‘Bad Teacher’ together.
Amanda Du Pont
- Determined not to let anyone paint her as a victim, Amanda Du Pont bounced back from her split with Cassper Nyovest with a much hotter guy who is now her fiance. Nice one, Amanda.
You may recall that Hulisani Ravele used to be in a serious relationship with Sipho “Psyfo” Ngwenya. They dated for over 10 years and were often rumoured to be close to getting married , but they ended their relationship and we were so devastated. Since their split, Hulisani seems to be doing better than ever.
- Thando Thabethe – better known as Miss ‘Tabooty’ – is our personal break-up hero. So, your fiance has repeatedly cheated on you and the world’s media are talking about it? Whatever. Thando’s attitude throughout the scandal was flawless: head down, sunglasses on. Props to you.
Minnie Dlamini hasn’t had a bad word to say about Itumeleng Khune ever since they “consciously uncoupled” in 2014, Instead, she focused on her own career, her family and friends, and she’s now married to her long-term partner. Now that’s how you tackle a break-up like a boss.
When she and her ex-husband, Andile, split, Ayanda was determined not to give the press the dirt they were craving.
So much so, when fans asked her about her recent breakup with Dash Mkhathini, the beaut said simply: “I’m single again. “
- And then, of course, there’s Adele, who managed to turn her break-up with her baby daddy to her advantage and worked so hard. She has achieved so much throughout the years as a single mom and she’s never stopped dating since.
- However, sometimes it’s difficult to pretend you’re anything other than hurt. And do you know what? That’s OK too.
In showing her vulnerable side in her interview with Pearl Thusi on ‘Behind The Story’, Ntando Dumaundoubtedly assured a lot of people that it’s not about how hard you fall, it’s how you get back up again.